Why "Ship to Wreck" means So Much To Me


When listening to “Ship to Wreck”, it makes me overcome with my emotions. Most of the time, it is a flurry of emotions because the lyrics oppose the instrumentation, thus giving tense feelings of unease. This is seen in the strong beat that gives emotional intensity while the lyrics paint a deadly and even sad picture of self-destructive behavior.  However, the way I feel this song is that self-sabotage behavior is not good for anyone, because I am truly no stranger to self-sabotage, whether that be in my academic life or my personal life.

I believe this is a true welcome/ message of the band’s intentions instead of having a slower beat, it is kind of like a slap in the face. This emotional intensity is only added by Florence Welch’s vocals. During a press release, Ms. Welch has stated that “I was thinking about my own self destructive side, and how you can make something only to tear it down, enjoy/destroy, create/devastate, etc.” This is important to note because when you are caught up in the moment of exciting things then you tend to forget about the consequences of your actions. You only think about the shiny things and forget about things that truly matter. The upbeat and bouncy sound can be representative of all new/ shiny things in one’s life. The lyrics show how crazy and hectic a new lifestyle with new people can become. Another noteworthy point is Florence Welch’s ability to create connections between two opposite things such as killer whales and singing a lullaby. She is also able to give vivid and good visuals that one can see in their imagination. Great examples of this can be seen in “Thousands of red-eyed mice, scratching at the door,” and “The chair is an island darling, you can’t touch the floor.” This song is also able to give you a hopeless feeling, as seen with the last couple of lines because she almost sounds fragile like, almost like she will break at any moment. It is like she is wishing that things were still simple, like they used to be.  However, as soon as any vulnerability is seen she quickly returns to how she sounded before…this reminds me of the feeling of trying to not show any sort of sad emotion because you should be enjoying this wonderful life you made for yourself.

I believe that I have a strong connection with this song because I did not see my true value or worth. I was also kind of scared from being truly good at anything, and I always molded my personality or interests (especially when it comes to music) to whoever I was with or surrounded myself with. I believe that I stopped myself from doing what I wanted to do artistically, because I thought that I was not good at writing...  so why try to become friends with people that have similar interests. Along with the fact that I tried to pretend I was happy for so long, even though I was depressed and having suicidal thoughts.


Comments